Orlando City SC faces their last hurrah of the 2016 preseason today against history-steeped Brazilian side Esporte Clube Bahia. Obviously, probably a total of about 1.3 percent of you had heard of this team before you saw them tucked away in your 2016 Season Ticket package. Not to worry, our crack staff here at TCBG are at your service with FIVE HOT TIPS about this Série B squad originating from the country of the Beautiful Game.
- Their nickname is the Tricolor which is an homage to the state flag of Bahia and the two clubs that merged to form the present club. The team was created in 1931 when Associação Atlética da Bahia (Athletic Association of Bahia) merged with Clube Haniano de Tenis (Haniano Tennis Club). They are based in Salvador, Bahia on the east coast of Brazil and play in the Itaipava Arena Fonte Nova.
Bahia Batcave A.K.A. Arena Fonte Nova.
- Currently the Tricolor play in the second tier league of Brazil known as the Série B where they have been since being relegated from Série A in 2014 after a four year run in the top flight.
- Their mascot is basically Superman.
- They’ve won two Série A championships, the first in 1959 and the other in 1988 while finishing as runners-up in 1961 and 1963. Because of this history they are able to maintain high attendance numbers even when sinking to lower leagues of Brazilian football.
- They are currently in competition for their state championship and a regional tournament in Brazil which means that they are going to be jammed up schedule wise when they return home next week playing a doubleheader on March 9th.